Here are a few ways to move toward keeping a God-centered perspective on submission to authorities in our lives.
1) Recognize God’s authority structure as revealed in Scripture.
“Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God.” (Romans 13:1)
2. Pray for the leaders God has placed over you.
“First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way.” (1 Timothy 2:1–2)
3. Repent of any grumbling in your own heart.
“Do all things without grumbling or disputing.” (Philippians 2:14)
4. Pray for a posture of submission and respect to those in authority over you.
Give grace to those who have a different opinion than yourself, asking God to give you a respectful heart.
“Be subject for the Lord’s sake to every human institution . . . .” (1 Peter 2:13)
5. Guard your tongue from complaining, gossip or slander.
“Whoever guards his mouth preserves his life; he who opens wide his lips comes to ruin.” (Proverbs 13:3)
6. Look for ways to speak well of those in authority over you, even if you don’t agree with their decision.
“Remind them to be submissive to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready for every good work, to speak evil of no one, to avoid quarreling, to be gentle, and to show perfect courtesy toward all people.” (Titus 3:1–2)
7. Find ways to come alongside your leaders, encouraging and helping them in the weighty task they’ve been given.
“I long to see you, that I may impart to you some spiritual gift to strengthen you- that is, that we may be mutually encouraged by each other’s faith, both yours and mine.” (Romans 1:11–12)
Remember that the world is watching as we deal with those who have different opinions than ourselves, especially those who are in places of authority over us. Will others be drawn to the gospel or moved further away as they watch the conduct of our lives and hear the words that flow from our mouths? Let’s pass the test of Christian maturity by respecting God’s perfect design for order in our lives.
credit: Stacy Reaoch
READ MORE : PRAYER GUIDE IN YOUR SINGLE SEASON